Monday, April 27, 2009

Potty Training........

For those of you out there who have ever wandered in the wilderness that is potty training...this blogs for you. While up late one night searching the net for help or other parents to commiserate with I found this .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW0H2tPZATQ

Now since I don't know Japanese I didn't learn anything, but it certainly made me feel better.

But like many of parents I solicited advice from friends, bought videos (Elmo's potty, to name one), read how to books (Potty training for Dummies), and checked out children's books at the library...The Potty Train being one of my personal favorites (Chugga Chugga PooH Pooh!...gotta love it). After all that what it comes down to is am I committed enough to see this thing through.

I mean along with transitioning into a toddler bed and giving up bottles, diapers represent babyhood. And for me once my daughter is out of diapers its like I'm saying she isn't a baby anymore. As a mom going through this for the first time its hard. I know I should look forward to her growing up and moving beyond these stages, but honestly I feel a little sad that she isn't a baby anymore. So yes I have to work on the commitment thing.

Plus I have visions of taking my daughter to a public restroom for the first time........Much worse than changing a poopy diaper any day. Help!

I'm scared and its my daughter who is going through a life changing event. All her life she's had a diaper. I look at it like her learning a new language. Its new and strange but if I make it fun she'll adapt and pick it up in no time.

So, we have bought the potty. We took her shopping for undies and talked to her and read her books.

Here goes......DAY 1

2 comments:

  1. Day four and my daughter is doing great. She has woken up dry the last few mornings and she continues to go to the potty when she has to go. This morning for the first time she went to the potty after getting out of bed and produced pee within a minute of sitting down.

    Yeah Marinel!

    Who would have thought that pee and poop would play such an important part of life at this stage :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually potty training was easier than we thought. My husband and I just decided to take the diapers away and have my daughter wear undies around the house. By the end of the second week she was pretty much telling us when she had to go and by the end of the third week she was even waking up dry overnights. We just had to keep asking her.

    My advice have patience and don't start potty training until your little one is ready
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-training-readiness-checklist_4384.bc

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete